In an effort to provide greater coordination of services from Rural Aid and other organisations, we’re looking to appoint a number of people to act as Area Coordinators
For the past 3 years, Rural Aid Ltd has run the very successful Buy a Bale program, bringing fodder and cash support to rural families suffering from the effects of drought. We have done this from a small Brisbane base working through Drought CoOrdinators, Drought Agencies a small group of farmers and Councils.
On June 30 2016, the Federal Government ceased the funding of all drought agencies, instead relying on farmers to be already registered for support and to chase help themselves, this has had the unfortunate effect of cutting some of our information paths. In order to ensure we are receiving continuous and reliable information Rural Aid is developing its own network in rural areas by “employing” local farmers or community leaders to gather information for us. These roles will focus directly on the local region of the farmer only (i.e. minimal travel).
Each position will be required to provide Rural Aid with a once a month report outlining what is going on in the local area. This information would include, rainfall, events (e.g. local show), other drought support efforts (e.g. a drop by another agency so we don’t double up), council information pertinent to Rural Aid and general news such as property sales etc. It is envisaged that this report is at most 1-2 pages long.
The role would also be involved in the following:
- Helping with local hay drops (where appropriate).
- Identifying those in need and telling them how to register (i.e. don’t do it for them)
- Identifying a property to drop on, tractors to use etc.
- Representing Rural Aid at local events if able to (this would be discussed well in advance and is not a set in stone criteria).
- Working with other rural based organisations to maximise effectiveness.
- Provide a list of contacts for other organisations helping in the local area (government and non government)
- Helping with on the ground support such as Farm Rescues, Christmas Deliveries, Movie Nights etc
Please note we do not see this as an onerous job, a few hours a month at most. All we are asking is for information about the goings on in your local region. Information you probably already know.